Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Maybe I Should Just List My House as a Meth Lab

Ah the joys of the Phoenix housing market.

When we bought our house, it was a sellers market. We fought tooth and nail and made several overs before bending over backwards and paying out the tuckus to buy our house

Now, two years later, it's a buyers market. There are gazillions of houses on the market and we're going to have to, once again, bend over backwards and pay out the tuckus (from our equity) to sell our house.

But whaddaya do right?

Persevere. That's what you do.

So Saturday, we had our second open house. I must say that we outdid ourselves cleaning this time. I just got a new vacuum, so I still think of it as more of a toy . . . so I vacuumed EVERYTHING. Couches? Check. Rugs? Check. Carpet? Check. Drapes? Check. All spotless and vacuumed. The house smelled beautiful . . . looked beautiful. The yard was gorgeous, Matt has done wonders with the grass in this blasted heat. I reorganized all the cabinets, everything was perfectly in it's place. I even organized my plethora of prescriptions, cold medicines and vitamins.

So at 11 AM we left the house for the day to go shopping and do some other fun things. Rhonda joined us and we went furniture shopping with my friend Stacey, then went to lunch. Then we saw the new Pirates movie (so good by the way!) and then we headed home.

We talked to our realtor on the way home. The open house was a bust. Only one person stopped by. A guy by himself . . . my realtor didn't feel comfortable being in the house alone with him, so she stayed outside and he went inside (random I know. I don't want to talk about it.). He came back out a few minutes later and said we had the nicest house in the neighborhood, said he would go get his brother and come back. He left his name and number and left.

He never came back . . . and our realtor went and visited with the other Realtors in the neighborhood (three of whom were also having open houses) and none of them had seen the guy. Weird right?

Well, our realtor had his name and number, so she was going to call him back and try to schedule a private showing for he and his brother.

We came home late Saturday evening and settled in for a boring night of TV and calling it an early night. We're so exciting right?

Sunday morning, I went downstairs to take my antibiotics. (I was diagnosed with bronchitis last week. Fun right?) I opened my perfectly organized cupboard and immediately noticed a problem. There was a hole. A hole that used to contain my favorite prescription bottle. My cough syrup with codeine. When one gets bronchitis twice a year like I do, this is the most glorious of all glorious medicines to have. And it was gone. Usually, I'm not extremely organized and this wouldn't be strange. I misplace stuff all the time. But not this time. I knew exactly where that bottle had been the day before because I had gone as far as to organize my medicines by type and by frequency of use. It was most definitely missing.

Holy crap right???? Some guy had come to our house posing as an interested buyer and STOLEN MY FAVORITE DRUGS. We, of course, started madly searching the house for other missing things, and came up with nothing. Everything else was in it's place. Stupid guy just took the cough syrup.

What's funny is that I don't feel like my privacy has been invaded, because I don't really have a strong sense of privacy. I'm not scared that he'll come back looking for more. Want to know what I am?

I'm PISSED that he stole my CODEINE. There was perfectly good doxycycline and steroid cream in there. Take that!! Take anything but the codeine! Do you have ANY IDEA how sick I had to get to be allowed to get that stuff?

Secretly, I'm almost hoping Matt gets sick now so we can go get some more, just to have it on hand.

I'm not a druggie, I swear. I just play one on Blogger.

13 comments:

CableGirl said...

Wow. What a serious bummer. And a little creepy. Why exactly did the agent not want to bring him in the house? Maybe it's just me, but if she wasn't comfortable being in the house with him, why the hell was she comfortable letting him riffle through your belongings? I'm thinking she just may be in the wrong profession if she has an aversion to showing houses to single men. lol

Anonymous said...

While this is creepy, strange and bizzare...it's also kind of funny. How random that he would take JUST the cough syrup.

And doxycycline...ugh how I hate it. I had lyme and had to take doxy. Turns out I'm allergic!

Butrfly Garden said...

I don't know your realtor at all, so I'm really sorry beforhand if you are like, related or something, but:

One night when we were young and I babysat for my mom all the time so she could go out, we invited friends over. We drank all her beer. I came up with a great story that the strange neighbor guy had come over, taken all the beer and told us my mom said it was okay. She was so weirded out, she never said anything to him. We never got busted. So...maybe the realtor has a little sumpin'sumpin' for the codeine??

Just saying. :)

(PS - That was the only stuff I could get to help me fall asleep when I used to get bronchitis, so I really feel for you!!!)

Brillig said...

Seriously, this is so funny to me. I mean, I'm sorry for the loss of your cough syrup--I REALLY am, but now it makes me want to go pose as a homebuyer and steal medicine out of people's cupboards. Really, in all my months of home shopping that have just now come to an end, it never occurred to me to take cough syrup. Why not?

Though, I'm kinda with Butrfly. Some random home shopper wouldn't know that you were sick and had cough syrup lying around, but your realtor might... Plus, you know how NOT fond of realtors I am right about now anyway, so I like the idea of blaming them...

Jewels said...

HAHAHA, I laughed so hard when you told me this. Only Kate...only Kate.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

My first reaction, other than laughter, is to think that is one inexperienced realtor!

Emily said...

that's lame. and weird.

:/ it's amazing how tightly regulated any kind of pain relief is, isn't it? bleh.

HaLaine said...

Um, psycho. Maybe THAT'S why your realtor didn't want to go with him...she was getting the druggie vibe. WEIRD!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! At least he showed some self control and didn't unload the whole medicine cabinet. I wonder what she would have done if he walked out with a pillowcase full of loot?
Stupid drug stealer.

Virtualsprite said...

Wow... that is strange. Although I'm with you... anything for codeine. Anything.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

does that count as a catastrophe? i think it may.

i don't envy you...we almost moved to phoenix this summer for law school-the real estat got us pumped-definitely a buyers' market.

and then you don't even have your codeine to get you through it....poor thing! i'd send you a few pills left over from my c-section by my husband stole them (he still denies that, but who else?)

Cherann said...

That's interesting. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I guess now that they don't sell cold medicines over the counter, they try to find it elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Okay, seriously? That's effed up.

I'm speechless.