Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Soap Opera Sunday: Rivalrous Blind Date

Welcome, loved ones, to another Soap Opera Sunday, hosted this week by the amazing Kimberly of Temporary?Insanity! While SOS is the brainchild of Brillig and myself, we are LOVING having our guest hosts! (By the by, if you feel the urge to be a guest host, send me a note or email and I'm happy to work you into the rounds!) Also, if you wanna see the rules, head on over here.

I promised you my long, huge, drawn out drama, so I'll give it a start here. It's going to take a looooooong time, so beware!!!

---------
Remember Sam? The bloody nose, dumped me because of Cheetos Sam? Yeah well, it might surprise you to know that I had a freaking awful time getting over that loser. I don't know if it was because I was alone or what, but I missed him like crazy.

I began my senior year of college sort of a mess. I was skinnier and had cooler hair, but I was a woman scorned and I was sort of miserable and it showed. That year I had to take some of the hardest classes (ha, in my super easy major. I bet some of you engineering types are laughing at me right now!) that I had saved for the end, one of which was Advanced Jazz Dance. I LOVE to dance, I'm just not very good at it, so having to do triple pirouettes and other complex moves didn't sound like a whole lot of fun, but the first day in class I met the gorgeous Adrienne (seriously, she's like a super hottER version of Nelly Furtado) and we became instant friends and the year started looking up. The class still sucked, but the year in school was going to be easier.

I should mention that I was also working full time during my final year of college. I had a great job at a Subaru dealership and they worked with my school schedule so that I could fit everything in. I was very overwhelmed what with work and trying to graduate and everything, but I was busy and that sort of kept my mind off the fact that I was alone.

About three months into the school year, right around the end of November, Adrienne got sick of my whining and announced she had someone to set me up with. He was her husband's best friend from high school and he had recently broken up with his girlfriend. Adrienne thought we'd be perfect for each other, but I wasn't so sure. He wasn't exactly my "type."

Rembember how I was a Music/Drama nerd? Yeah, he was a total jock. He'd been the kicker on the football team, the captain of the soccer team and also played on the varsity basketball team in high school. So, not just a jock, he was like SUPER jock! He'd been the popular guy in high school just like the guys that I'd always wanted to date, but who never even glanced at me. (I realize I was a senior in college by this time and I should have been SO over that, but it was like one of those things that never goes away until it happens!! I'd always wanted to be wanted by the popular guy.) I figured we'd have nothing in common and hate each other, but agreed to go out with him. At least it was an attempt to get over Sam.

Adrienne's plan was to introduce us at the big rivalry football game of the year, BYU vs Utah. Even if I hated the guy, BYU was undefeated so far that year and the game was totally sold out and was going to be a blast.

The day of the game I had to work until after the game had started, so I was going to be a little late. I changed into my best, hottest, but of course BYU blue, outfit and headed to the game, getting there just as the first quarter was ending. I was embarrassed because Adrienne didn't have a cell phone and I was supposed to call the guy and tell him I was there so Adrienne could come down with my ticket and I had TOTALLY forgotten what his name was. Then it got even worse because he didn't answer his phone. I called like ten times and no answer. FINALLY he called me back and told me Adrienne was on her way. His voice sounded hot at least!

I remember as we walked up the stairs into the stands she warned me of two things -- that Richard (phew! She told me his name!) was super hyper that night and that he was a Utah fan, dressed completely in red. I have always felt hyperactivity and football games go well together, as does a good rivalry, even if it's in the stands. If nothing else, it was going to be fun to taunt him as BYU kicked Utah's butts.

Richard's back was to me as we walked to our seats but he was wearing a red coat, red hat and -- yes people -- red sneakers. I just started laughing at the absurdity of it all.

And then, he turned around and completely took my breath away.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh goodness not RICHIE!!!! hahahahaha

Brillig said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

This one is going to be so soapy...

and my gut is already churning.

(And, dude! Hey, "baby bro"!!!!!)

Fourier Analyst said...

Now this sounds like it's gonna be a lot of soapy fun!! Hope all is well with you on the homefront so you can be sure and fill us in on the rest of the saga! YAY SOS!!!

Lauren said...

SUPER jock. I've used that term with my friends before. Wonderful phrase, wonderful.

Oooooooo...! I can't wait for the rest of your story.

tripleZmom said...

Took your breath away in a good way, right? Darn, I can't wait for next week.

Wholly Burble said...

I'm SO ready for the next installment--and it's a week away--rats!

OK, I'll have the popcorn ready next week--write on . . .

HaLaine said...

Ahhhhhhhhh yes. I have always wanted to hear this story from the beginning. I was hermited away, being trapped by the evil MAG of WestJordanLand. Can't Wait!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I can't put my finger on it, but I can just tell this is going to be good!

Madam Crunchypants said...

This sounds promising!

Dedee said...

Soapiness, Here we come!!!

Kyle, Adrienne and Hayden said...

Sounds soapy, but I think I know how this one ends! I can't wait to hear about it again. :-) Nelly Fertado? You are way too nice to me!!

Virtualsprite said...

Oohh... this sounds good. Can't wait for the rest!

Jewels said...

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth...

Canadian flake said...

holy cowwwwwww I can wait until next week...I loveeeeeee me some great SOS...thanks for sharing.

Ya got me hooked.