Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Weekend Update: The Kate Edition

We had an awesome weekend, and it seems that's it's been a long time since I felt like I could say that - which is a little sad, actually!


Friday night we had a date night and went to see Beowulf in 3-D. It was so funny sitting in the theatre in our big old glasses. The movie was better than I expected, considering I was bored out of my mind when I tried to read Beowulf in college. The 3-D part was pretty freaking sweet too. And hell-oooo Beowuolf.


We had a rare weather weekend in Phoenix . . . it POURED rain for two days straight. I honestly can't remember the last time it rained that hard for that long. I'm used to the monsoons that come and go in like fifteen minutes. This was like a two day downpour. It was great, but cold. Since it was raining and we couldn't get a Christmas tree or put up lights, we decided to spend the day test driving BMWs, for fun of course. We had a blast making fun of the sales people, sneaking around lots trying to avoid the stalkers, driving the AMAZING machines that are BMWs.

Saturday night was the best part of the whole weekend. Because we live in such a big movie market, many of the theaters in town were showing a sneak preview of The Golden Compass, a movie I've been looking forward to seeing for a very, very long time. I was SO excited to get to see it before it was"officially" released. It met and probably exceeded my expectations. It was gorgeously done, well written and well acted. I really enjoyed it and I think it's going to be a big hit this season. I can't wait for the sequels!

The movie is based on a trilogy of books called "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. There's been quite a bit of controversy surrounding the book and the films, specifically among the religious communities. Apparently the author came out and said that he does not believe in God and that he wrote the books based on that belief. My girlfriends and I have had a few discussions about this, because a few of us had read the books before we heard this and didn't see that at all. I felt the books were about free agency, a teaching central to my religious beliefs, and also about finding the truth within yourself. I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who see the movie or have read the books to see what you think. I came away from the books with renewed faith, not questioning it, but I'd love to know what other people think.

Today was a great, relaxing Sunday and for the first time in a long time I'm feeling refreshed and renewed and ready for my busy week. Of course that may change first thing in the morning when I have to actually wake up and face my week!

I hope you all had wonderful weekends! I can't wait to read about them!!

7 comments:

Girl, Dislocated said...

LOL If rain had ruined my plans for the day, test driving cars for fun would not have been the first thing to occur to me as something to do instead, but you've broadened my horizons!

I'm glad you had a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I've seen a lot of internet spam from religious zealots about how horrible this movie is, and how you'll go to hell if you watch it, and please protect your children from it. And that? Makes me want to see it even more.

HaLaine said...

DUDE! So glad you liked it because I generally trust your opinion with movies!! I was hoping it would be good because it is a fantastic story. As for the controversy, it is so annoying. Always someone looking for a cause. This movie should cause no more concern than Harry Potter which people tried to ban for encouraging witchcraft. Aergh.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've neither seen it yet, nor have I read the books, but I've kind of smirked at all the freaked out emails that have gone around about this movie and the books. Having ideas that I consider false embedded, interwoven, or just plain old showcased in a piece of media I'm consuming os nothing new. But notwithstanding I don't agree with Indiana Jones' uncommitted dalliances, I will continue to watch the movies enthusiasically.

Having said that, it does seem that Pullman has been fairly clear about his anti-religious agenda in writing the books. But I understand many people read the books and either don't feel it's in serious conflict their beliefs (any more than say Lord of the Rings, by presenting an alternative Cosmology somehow presents a challenge to Christianity) or else feel that Pullman, whatever his atheist-propagandist purposes might have been, inadvertantly makes points which are actually pro-religion. I don't know, but my take is that we generally see what we want to see, and where the picture is ambiguous, so much more does this occur.

In the end, I'm not that worried about my girls eventually seeing this. I'm less concerned that a watered-down bit of main-streamed anti-religious propaganda will undermine whatever faith my children develop than I am concerned about how their interactions with their peers in high school and beyond will affect it. If they are like me, they won't be let veiled insinuations govern their beliefs, but they will come up with a myriad of excuses for bad behavior on their own if they find themselves so inclined.

Canadian flake said...

glad you had such a great weekend. We got buried in snow here so that made it easier to stay home and be lazyyyyy....lol

Brillig said...

*gasp* *choke*

BORED TO DEATH WHILE READING BEOWOLF IN COLLEGE???? Holy crap. How in the hell are we friends??!!

Love you, Kate darling... :-D

Kateastrophe said...

I wasn't bored to death while reading ANYTHING else dear Brilly, if that makes you feel any better! I loved every other ancient text I had to read. Maybe I was in a funk whilst reading Beowulf?