Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Soap Opera Sunday! Installment One of "Summer of Love and Hate"

This Soap Opera is going to be a long one, so I’m going to spread it out over a few weeks. Sorry about that, but there’s just too much juicy detail to cram into one blog entry. So here she goes . . .

Every summer in high school, I went to a “church camp” run by the LDS Church Education System. It was (and still is I suppose) called Especially for Youth or “EFY.” It was always great fun, spiritually uplifting and a TOTAL meat market. It was amazing how many kids at this camp aimed to give us spiritual experiences ended up hooking up in like a day. It was insane! My first two years going I met some awesome people and had a wonderful time, but I’d never met any “special” boys. Until year three in Santa Barbara, California.

That summer was the first time I think I was . . . appealing to the opposite sex. I had finally outgrown some of my baby fat, learned how to dress a little better and I was having the best summer of my life. I’d just sung with my high school choir at Carnegie Hall and now I was in sunny So. Cal for the rest of the summer to hang out and play. I was going to EFY at a campus on the beach and then my best friend, who we’ll just call “Laine” for this story, was coming to stay with me at my Grandma’s house for like a month.

At this camp the hot boys were EVERYWHERE. I was ironically in a group with my best friend’s boyfriend and all of his friends, and there was one I had an interest in. On the first day I met a beautiful boy named Nathan who I had decided needed to be my boyfriend. I was having a blast with these two boys until I saw HIM.

He was tan, dark, silky haired, dimpled, green eyed god that I just knew I had to marry. He was gorgeous. He had a soccer player’s body, I could just tell. He had a gorgeous, slightly crooked smile. He was beautiful. And I had to have him.

Then, on the third day of camp, he sat next to ME at lunch. I was immediately smitten. He not only played soccer but also football. He had an illustrious engineering internship (while in HIGH SCHOOL!) at JPL and was working on the Mars rover project. This guy was gorgeous, funny, athletic and SMART. And the green eyes . . . oh the eyes. I was madly in love. And he was interested in me! I didn’t know what to do with myself.

Then, the icing on the cake. It turned out that his family lived close to my Grandparents house and better yet, they had a sailboat in the harbor of the town my grandparents actually lived in. And even BETTER than all of that, he was spending tons of time sailing that summer and he wanted to come hang out with ME after EFY was over.

So, while still dabbling in my interest with the other two boys (I mean why put all of your eggs in one basket says me?), I had my sites set on Jason. He was perfect. I loved him. At the last dance we spent most of the night together, dancing with each other and taking pictures. We laughed and made plans for the next month. I was excited for Laine to meet him and he had a friend he wanted to set her up with. It was all perfectly perfect.

The next morning the camp was over. My Grandma arrived to drive me back down the coast to her house and Jason and I exchanged phone numbers, hugged good-bye and made plans to meet about a week later at his boat in Los Alamitos Harbor.

I drove away giddy with excitement, making plans for our summer together in my head. There would be kissing and hugging and snuggling and it was going to be the BEST.SUMMER.EVER.

I should have known it was all too good to be true. But I have always been a little too optimistic and dumb when it comes to romance. Stupid, silly me . . .

........................................................

Now, as promised, the fun part! Other Soap Opera Sunday's for your reading pleasure! For more soapy fun run and check out:

Anno's Place

The Quiltmaker's Gift

Soccer Mom in Denial

Fourier Analyst

Brillig the Great

Novembrance


Mimi

Temporary?Insanity


Canadian Flake

Die Without Yourself

Magically Mama


Now, if there are more of you who played along, in order for Brillig and I to give you
linky-love, you need to make sure to let us know that you played! Send either of us an email, or let us know in our comments somewhere and we'll make sure you get added to the list! Also, please make sure to link back to us so people can find the rules and find the complete list of participants!

Now, go forth and read!!

Oh, PS, if you need the rules,
check out this post.

Smooches!

16 comments:

Brillig said...

Yay for Soap Opera Sunday! I'm dying for the rest of this story. I've heard it in pieces, but never laid out in detail like this. Can't wait for next week!!!

Fourier Analyst said...

Ah there is nothing like summer romances. When I get through all my heavy s**t, I too have a few stories warmed by summer sunshine. But now, of course, I am dying to hear the rest. It didn't work out? How dare fate to be so mean! This is really fun and you guys are a blast!! YAY SOS!!

anno said...

So, you have three guys on the hook, and you're hinting that NONE of them work out?! I am dying to hear how this plays out.

"[G]reat fun, spiritually uplifting and a TOTAL meat market" is the best description of any church retreat or music camp I've ever attended.

soccer mom in denial said...

Summer lovin'
Havin' a blast...

Looking forward to Part Deux.

Dedee said...

Cannot wait for the next installment. You might have an even better cliffhanger than I do. I've only currently got one guy on my stick!

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, THIS is gonna be GOOD. Excellent beginning; can't wait for more!

The Gruwells said...

hey i played i played... pick me...
oh and i totally know where your story is going ;)

Jewels said...

Whoooooa! I had no idea you would tell this story for your first SOS. Nice going! Although, I'm sure we could all tell a good SOS that involves our little Laine.

Canadian flake said...

hey there, I am here via Brillig's blog. I also posted my very first soap opera sunday (although it isn't as good as yours)...I can't WAIT to hear what happened..this one is as good as Brillig's Chad..lol. If you get a chance, I would love you to check out mine
http://canadianflake.blogspot.com/

I linked both you and brillig as requested and I will be back to read more of your blog for sure.

teachergirl said...

this is going to involve your skank best friend stealing your boyfriend, isn't it? (and if it's not, no offense intended by calling her a skank. i mean it with the best...intentions.)

dangit. i have to wait a week? man.

HaLaine said...

I'm hosed.

Brillig said...

HAHAHAHA, Hannah!

DG said...

I'm dying to find out what happened!!!

Butrfly Garden said...

Ooooh! This sounds like a good one!

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, this is gonna get ugly. Sadly, I was a horrified witness to much of it . . .
Yay SOS, I'll have to decide if I'm willing to share mine on my blog . . . if not, maybe I'll lend you some of my drama to share on yours?

Kateastrophe said...

Haha Sheila, I'll try to keep the ugly to a minimum :D Maye I'll let you guest post your SoS on my blog after the saga is over! We'll discuss . . .