Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Stuck

So, apparently there's some big-ace storm that hit the east coast and all the planes are either cancelled or delayed. Luckily, I am on the delayed end of the spectrum rather than the cancelled end, but either way, I'm stuck at the airport.

I have no real reason to post, no true coherent thoughts, but I thought I would pass the time by posting.

So, we all know I live in Phoenix, the hottest freaking place in the US. I was in DC this week for work, and while I realize the area gets very humid in the summer time, the temperature isn't usually unbearable. I was looking forward to a much needed break from the heat.

I must be cursed. Because this week in Phoenix, it apparently barely rose about 101 and 25% humidity. This week in DC? Where I was in stead of Phoenix? Oh yeah, 102 with like EIGHT MILLION PERCENT HUMIDITY. I felt like I was stuck in Hell's sauna. Seriously. I usually love me a little humidity and what it does for my hair and skin. This morning, while trying to see some sights, I was basically a giant walking ball of sweaty stickiness. I was DRENCHED from head to toe. I was, naturally, walking everywhere and I started to notice that if I stopped walking for any reason other than to enter an air conditioned building, I could feel the heat throbbing through my body. So, I just.kept.walking. Forever, it felt like. However, it was totally worth it.

I've never been to DC, despite flying into Baltimore at least once a year for the past ten years to visit my Dad and Step-mother. In spite of the horrendous weather (and now horrible airport conditions) I LOVE DC. I love pretty much everything about it. I love the beautiful green parks. I love the way the city is situated. Most of all, I love the history and the symbolism of the city. I was in absolute awe all morning while walking around. I've traveled quite a bit, and the only other place I have felt this much awe was in Rome. Around every corner was another amazing building or special memorial.

I was lucky that I woke up at the crack of dawn and was able to see most of the amazing things to see without crowds.

I got even luckier and had someone traveling with me who was willing to go to the Washington Monument by 6:00 AM and wait in line for tickets to go to the top. I loved it. LOVED it. I loved the view of the city and how fitting that monument is for the amazing man George Washington was.

I was the ONLY ONE at the top of the stairs at the Lincoln Memorial this morning. It was a pretty special experience, honestly. I have always loved Lincoln and his attitude and persistence, and I'm glad that his memorial is so incredible.

I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the founders of the country as I read the original Declaration of Independence, Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I am in awe of the challenge that those few men took on in order to do what they thought was right for their fellow men and for generations to come.

My favorite part, however, were the war memorials. I have mentioned before that my Step-father Mike, who passed away a few years ago was a Vietnam Vet. I believe I have also mentioned that my brother Sean served for several months in Iraq at the beginning of the war. I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned that my Grandfather is also a Veteran of Korea. I know I'm not alone in my respect for our troops and all they have done and continue to do for our country and I also know I'm not alone in feeling a special bond with any veteran because of my family's personal sacrifices.

I was very emotional as I walked through the new WWII memorial, which is absolutely amazing. I saw one lone old man, obviously a WWII veteran, sitting on the side of the Field of Stars wiping tears from his eyes. I can't even imagine what he must have felt to see this amazing memorial to the men and women he served with who did not make it home as he did. There is one star for every 100 people who died. There are 4,000 stars. That is a number of lives lost that I cannot even begin to comprehend.

The Korean War Memorial wasn't one I had heard much about or seen too many picture of, but I loved it was well. I love the look and feel and felt almost haunted by the faces of the men on the wall behind the bronze statues.

Then, my very last stop of the day, was probably the most special to me due to my relationship with my Step-father. At the Vietnam Veterans Memorial I was again moved, this time to tears, watching a man in his early sixties, wearing a plethora of Vietnam Vet gear, find a name on the wall, step back, and with tears streaming down his face, salute.

I have always been a very patriotic person, a person proud to be an American, but today, I think I changed. Today, I was hot, sweaty and verging on miserable, but I was humbled and grateful and prouder than I have ever been. I loved every minute of my hot sweaty day, and now I sit here in the airport for hours, verging on miserable again, but my heart is swelling with pride for the country I am blessed to have been born in. I am grateful beyond words for so many people sacrificing so much, be it time, energy or even their life, to ensure that we have the freedoms we have.

I didn't really mean for this post to turn so sappy, but I guess that's just what happens to me sometimes. And now, I say goodbye, because a small miracle has occurred and my plane has just arrived and I will be boarding soon.

Thanks for putting up with my sappiness! I'll make it up to you, because the second installment of Soap Opera Sunday is already written and ready to be posted!!

9 comments:

Brillig said...

The concept of an ice storm is so incredibly foreign to me right now, as Utah isn't exactly involved in that just now. Glad you were able to explore DC! It's such an incredible city.

Love your guts! Can't wait to see you tomorrow--if you're ever able to get on that plane!!!

Canadian flake said...

No worries about the mush. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I can not WAIT for SOS again...looking forward to your next installment of your story..lol. Hope you had a great trip.

HaLaine said...

I cry when the Color Guard walks down the street during a parade. And I cry when I see my brothers in uniform. And I can't even say the Pledge without tearing up...I would have been a sticky, soggy, sweaty, tear-streaked mess.

Fourier Analyst said...

I too loved my visit to DC and can't wait to take the kiddos sometime. It is hard for me to explain the kind of patriotic pride you described to my German husband who has been raised in the counter-culture of the "fatherland" mentality. But it does at times feel like your heart's gonna burst doesn't it?

Hope you had a safe trip and see you on SOS!

anno said...

Gosh, this was beautiful and affecting -- a direct hit with my heart. Thanks.

Jewels said...

What a great post! I really loved reading it, it was awesome.

Heather said...

I really need to visit DC now. I've always wanted to, but now, really...

I also love this country and have very tender feelings for veterans. Many of my family members have also served in the military, including my father in law. Patriotic things make me sappy and weepy, too.

Thanks for this post.

Hope you get home safely.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. I live in Baltimore and have been to D.C. and also Gettysburg many times. Many areas therein are sacred and incur great reverence in my heart when I visit them.

The Bastian's said...

I LOVE this post. I have been there twice and I know what you mean. There is just a way about that city. I love the sappy too, but I think it is more Proud, which is wonderful!