Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Monday, February 4, 2008

Even Bargain Shopping Can Get You Busted

So I played hookie half-day on Friday. I literally just walked out of my office at 12:30 and didn't go back.

I desperately needed an eyebrow wax. I was starting to look a bit like a wookie. See?

It's a bad picture taken on my cell phone but can you SEE those horrid extra hairs? I have made it a life goal not to touch my own eyebrows because whenever I do, the results are scary. Like a few weeks ago when I thought I'd "just trim the long hairs" and I took a chunk out of what is supposed to be the thick part of my eyebrow. Or a few years ago when I over plucked and took off the thin end of my eyebrow. Or the time I tried to wax myself and took a big chunk out of the MIDDLE of my eyebrow. I should not be allowed to own tweezers or wax of any kind. And there's a question about owning a razor, since I've also shaved the center section and had my esthetician yell at me for that.

Now, when I lived in Utah, I had Whitney, the goddess of eyebrows. I had an appointment with her every three weeks and loved her with all my heart. Then I moved to Arizona. I have been here for almost four years and haven't found anyone who comes close to Whitney - until Friday. I found a place that claims to specialize in eyebrows and I think I've found my eyebrow home.

Now, I may have forgotten to add some color to my super blonde brows this morning but can you SEE the improvement? It's like a whole new world!!! I was (and continue to be) SO happy!

After getting my eyebrows did, my day of hookie continued with SHOPPING!! I found sales galore and got some amazing stuff for like 80% off their original prices. Hazaa! I also got kitchen tools, which are never bad.

After shopping, I went to get my car washed because after picking it up from the shop it was nasty. This is where playing hookie goes downhill, because I discovered that the morons who "fixed" my car didn't finish the job and under all the dirt is a crappy job. Also, the people washing my car weren't so stellar either. I WAS PISSED. I called the shop, told them they sucked, got the manager of the carwash, told them they sucked and THEN I went to unwind with a pedicure. I was so excited until I discovered that the pedicure place had stopped using O.P.I products and I couldn't use my favorite color (I'm Not Really A Waitress, if you're curious) so I had to go with a lighter red, which isn't perfect but at least my toes no longer look as though I walk barefoot over hot coals for a living.

At about this point I started adding up the costs of my little hookie trip. I think I maybe should have stayed at work . . . and blown up the car repair shop.

Saturday, Matt and I went on a field trip down to the south-east part of the valley to go to our old stomping grounds and the mall there. I may or may not have done some more damage at the sales there. BUT, I got several pairs of TEN DOLLAR PANTS! They were originally $50! You so can't go wrong, right?! I also needed new perfume because I was out of my signature scent and that just WILL NOT DO. We had a jolly time and I was very happy with my purchases.

Until I got home and checked my bank account. Let's see . . . car payment plus insurance plus cell phone plus credit card payoff from last month plus car repairs . . . equals C.R.A.P. I have no more money.

There is a distinct* possibility that Matt and I may be eating ramen for the rest of the month. Whoops!

*Ok the possibility of that really happening is not distinct. It's not like we're broke and it's my fault. It's like we're back in college and making ten dollars last two weeks until payday**

**Ok that's not true either. I'm just being over-dramatic. Hi, I'm Kate. Have you met me?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ten dollar PANTS??? Why can't I ever find ten dollar pants? I am incredibly jealous of your sale-sniffing prowess.

Kateastrophe said...

Express, baby! They have tons of them!

Anonymous said...

Hmm..Staying at work and NOT having great retail therapy. Or playing hookie and making yourself semi-poor. At least it was worth it, no?

Katelin said...

Shopping is such good therapy...but so dangerous too. Oy.

Jewels said...

Hey man - a good day of playing hookie and some sweet fashion finds is always a good idea! Wasn't that what we did for the entire 5 years after High School? No regrets, my dear, no regrets.

Anonymous said...

What is it with all the blogs I'm reading being about the amazing deals people have found shopping? JEALOUS <-- that would be me!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

GOD. I love waxing.

Goofball said...

Hi Kate...nice to meet you ;)...nice eyebrows :p


can we buy those 10 dollar pants online? The dollar is rather cheep for me, so I can get them almost for free. Wow, heaven.
Oh wait, I'll probably pay a fortune in shipping charges. Too bad.

Anonymous said...

My eyebrows are terrible! When my husband starts referring to me as Peter Gallagher, i know it's time for a wax. And I can't do my own either. I've totally naired off an eyebrow before. Let me just tell you how hot that is. Nair is not meant for your head!

Canadian flake said...

playing hookey is always fun...even if it cleans ya out and leaves u empty. Make sure if you blow up the car repair place, it is a day that you stay at work so you have an alibi..lol

Brillig said...

I'm heading to Express right. now.

And your postscripts are HILARIOUS!

And your eyes are purdy... :-D

And I love you. Did I mention that?

Heather said...

Ten dollar pants? That is amazing. Good for you. I hope the money situation resolves itself okay... And by the way, what is your signature scent? I am curious. I just found your blog, and it is great...

Kateastrophe said...

Hey there Grace! My signature scent is Ralph HOT. My husband bought it for me as a surprise the first year we were married and I will never wear anything else if I can help it! It's got vanilla/warm tones and i LOVE it!

Heather said...

Thanks! I will have to check it out. I am always interested in new scents.