Ta-Daa! Sticky!

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Soap Opera Sunday: Too Good To Be True?


Welcome back sud lovers! Also, welcome any new peeps to Soap Opera Sunday! This week, Brillig is, once again, hosting our tales of soapiness. If you want to play along, or if you're just curious as to what the crap Soap Opera Sunday is, read all about it here.

This story is a multi-part saga, and to those of you wondering, yes every word of it is true. To catch up on the biggest drama of my life, you can go here, here, here and here. In that order.

Ok, on with the show!

---------------------------

After the random proposal (if you can call it that) I tried desperately to "keep my cool."

I calmly said "Well, if we get to that point, we should really get married where our families are. I mean it's stupid to require all those people to go as far as New York if there's just the two of us there. "

Inside, it was more like "OH MY GOSH THE MAN OF MY DREAMS JUST ASKED ME TO MARRY HIM! Wait, he hasn't even said "I love you yet." Wait, and we're still not kissing again and . . . and . . . and . . . " And yet, despite the doubt creeping in, I fell even more in love with him.

Christmas was drawing nigh, and I had the perfect present for him. I'd found hard to get tickets to a Laker's game in LA and bought the two of us plane tickets then added a whole Laker's warm-up outfit for him. I was so excited to give him his present and couldn't wait to see what thoughtful gift he'd purchased for me. I was imagining a romantic night with just the two of us having dinner and exchanging our gifts and, due to his earlier outburst about a wedding, I thought MAYBE some talks of our future together.

I was spending Christmas with Adrienne's family (she had been the one to set Richard and I up, if you remember) because my family was in California and also because my best friend Rhonda and I were leaving for New York City the day after Christmas. What I thought was the best part was that and Richard had unexpectedly decided to join us there a few days later! I was so excited to be with him in my favorite city in the US. Neither he or Rhonda had ever been and I had so many fun things planned. I would be turning 21 while we were there and was absolutely thrilled.

So, Christmas Eve, the romantic gift exchange didn't exactly go as planned. Richard came over to Adrienne's house and we sort of casually exchanged gifts. He loved his gift and mine was a beautiful white sweater coat. The only problem was, Richard hadn't picked it out. Adrienne had actually purchased it for me and then decided to get me something else and planned to take it back. Richard found out about it and bought it from Adrienne. So my gift WAS thoughtful . . .just not HIS thoughts. I didn't let it bother me too much, I understand girls are hard to shop for. We had a good time together that night anyway.

Christmas Day I ran around Salt Lake with Kyle and Adrienne and their families, and then spent the evening helping Richard put together his new stereo and TV system, then giddily drove home to pack for my amazing vacation to New York.

What I didn't realize at the time, was that I was in for what I can say with confidence was the worst week of my entire life.

Sorry to leave you hanging again, but I have to end it there so I don't get 8,000 words into it and have to leave! Tune in next week for the gory details!

13 comments:

Canadian flake said...

omgggggggg this is absolutely crazy...can't WAIT to see what happens next...

I am not having a good feeling about this guy...will be interested to see if my instincts are right or not...

Brillig said...

Good grief, woman! You and your birthday presents. I've never even gone to such lengths for my HUSBAND! hahaha..

Interested in the week from hell.

You know how I feel about Richard...

:-D

Wholly Burble said...

You are heartless to leave us hanging for another week--and it looks like things are turning pretty dark now--can't wait to hear more of the continuing saga!

Jan said...

Oh man..... I hate these cliffhangers !!!!! I want to know now ! LOL (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Oh. Em. Gee. I can't even handle this cliff hanger.
I wanna know NOOOOWWW! ;-)

HaLaine said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Shellie said...

Dream guy's getting flaky on us here...

Gretchen Alice said...

No fair! Gah, I hate cliffhangers.
Also, I firmly believe that you had every right to be ever-so-slightly disappointed in his gift. Eagerly awaiting next wekk!

Gretchen Alice said...

No fair! Gah, I hate cliffhangers.
Also, I firmly believe that you had every right to be ever-so-slightly disappointed in his gift. Eagerly awaiting next wekk!

The Bastian's said...

I could kill you!! This one is too long!!!! I cannot wait, I know I have said that before but this time I can't. You should just email me that ending. :)

Anonymous said...

You are truly cruel and heartless for making us suffer through a whole week without knowing what happens!

But I guess we'll forgive you.

Katelin said...

Wow, I just caught up with the whole story and I am intrigued!

Fourier Analyst said...

AAAAkkk!!! Yet another cliffhanger!! You have got to be the queen of string things out. Oh wait. I think I have that title. Oh well, you do give me a run for the money! Can't wait until the next bit. And that fact that Brillig hates him still lets me know that the best(worst?) is yet to come in this story! YAY SOS!!